Operations Manager – Full-time, year-round position to provide local management of the cave and its operations. The ideal candidate will have both tourism or hospitality management experience as well as experience managing a small business. They will have a wide range of interests and skills including a strong interest in nature and conservation.
Operations Manager Responsibilities
- Day-to-day local management of the cave and its operations
- Hiring, training, and managing seasonal tour guides
- Ensuring the cave, buildings and grounds are properly maintained: safe for visitors, secure and clean. Coordinating any needed maintenance with staff, owners, contractors as appropriate.
- Completing weekly deposits and paperwork
- Managing on-site/online ticket sales, concessions, education/community center
- Strong focus on driving tourist volume and visitor satisfaction
- Strategic partner with management regarding opportunities to increase cave visitors.
- Maintain positive relationships with cave owners, local chamber leaders, vendors, local schools, camps, churches and hotels, and the community as a whole.
- Establish and achieve tourist volume and visitor satisfaction goals.
- Create and participate in promotional efforts as needed.
- Develop strategy and execute cave/site events to increase cave tourism and revenue (educational programs, parties, fairs, scout camping, etc.)
- Provide cave tours as needed in off-season.
- Communicate frequently and effectively with cave management to ensure strong relationship maintained
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
Operations Manager Qualifications
- Education: BA or BS in Recreation Management or comparative field, and/or 5 years or more experience with program development/management in tourism or hospitality
- Minimum 2 years of management experience
- Minimum 1 year experience in retail or food service
- Excellent communication skills – written and oral. Comfortable speaking to groups of varying sizes
- Valid drivers’ license
- Physically fit – able to go up and down steep stairs in the cave several times daily, stand for extended periods of time, and help with maintenance activities as needed which may include lifting, walking, pushing and climbing.
Desired Personality Characteristics
- Personal integrity
- Independent thinker with strong personal initiative
- Mature, personable leader
- Execution oriented, enjoying hands-on implementation.
- Comfortable underground in a cool, dark environment with bats and other cave wildlife
- Enjoys a wide range of activities and responsibilities and new challenges.
- Knowledge of and interest in geology, nature and conservation
Stark Caverns is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to excellence through diversity.